Characteristics that young gifted children may display:
- Verbal precocity
- Intense curiosity
- Capacity to understand abstract concepts and ask complex questions
- Adult-like sense of humor
- Intense interest in fantasy play
- Mature choice of words
- Early interest in reading
- Long attention span for topics of interest
- Unusual interest in conversations and activities of older children and adults
- Frustration when work is not perfect or when a skill cannot be mastered easily
Learn more about Giftedness
The Social and Emotional Development of Gifted Children: What do we know?
Neihart, M., Reis, S., Robinson, N. & Moon, S., Prufrock Press, 2002
The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids.
Walker, S., Free Spirit Press, 2004
Stand Up for Your Gifted Child
Smutny, J.F., Free Spirit Press 2001
Genuis Denied: How to Stop Wasting our Brightest Minds
Davidson, Bob and Jan, Simon & Schuster, 2004
The Young Gifted Child: Potential & Promise
Smutny, J.F.(Editor), Free Spirit Publishing, 1996
Dweck, Carol), Random House, 2006
Gifted Kids About.com website.